Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Tomato Bounty Begins....




This is my favorite time of the summer. No, it's not the unbearable heat and humidity. No, not the smell of chlorine on all of my clothes from hours (and hours) of swimming with the kids at the community pool either.



It's the appearance of sweet corn (the world's finest, IMHO) at Kern's Farm Stand in Pennington, NJ. And the arrival of tomatoes in our weekly farm share at Honey Brook Organic Farm. What you see above is about 16 pounds of New Jersey's finest contribution to civilization, and I know it's just the beginning of a veritable landslide of lycopene heading my way.




Honey Brook has been putting out tons of great basil in our weekly share, too. So can you see where I'm going with this?




I'll be pulling out a big stock pot soon....stay tuned.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am so jealous. Growing tomatoes in FL sucks. Mine have been over for several days and there was never any bounty. I WILL stay tuned.